- Salt is obtained by evaporation, the removal of moisture by sunlight. We become the salt of the earth by allowing Christ, the source of all light, to remove our sins.
- Salt is white, the color of purity. We too must be pure.
- Salt preserves food, drying out moisture that allows it to spoil. We can preserve souls by bringing them to Christ and showing them how to repent of all soul-spoiling sin.
- Salt draws out and intensifies the natural flavor of food. Likewise, we can draw out and intensify the natural goodness in others by being an example of good.
- Salt adds flavor to bland food. We can add purpose (flavor) to others' lives by sharing the gospel with them and helping them be happy.
Also, isn't it interesting that the Lord had the Saints settle in the Great Salt Lake area?