Personal scripture study nurtures your spirit, deepens your gospel knowledge and understanding, and brings you closer to God. Put effort into your personal scripture study to maximize its blessings. Here are some tips to help you.
- Choose a time and place that will let you get the most out of your personal scripture study. Find a time when you are alert and unhurried and a place where you have peace and quiet. If you have no quiet, private place, then sit in the bathroom with the fan on to block out noise.
- Decide how you will study the scriptures. You can read from beginning to end or study by topic. Either way, determine in advance to stay on task, be organized, and reach your goal. Make a reading chart to track your progress.
- Study for a certain amount of time or distance; for example, one chapter a day or for ten minutes.
- Begin and end with a prayer. Ask for the Spirit to be with you as you read so that you can be enlightened and find answers to questions and problems you have.
- Use other religious books, such as study guides and reference books, to help you understand the scriptures better.
- Have a study journal to write down insights, feelings, answers, and questions. Keep it for future reference to remind yourself of things you learned, answers you received, and feelings you had.
Challenge: Read your scriptures every day.