The purposes of Primary are to:
- teach children who Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ are
- teach children to love Them and to feel Their love
- help children develop feelings of self-worth and understand they are children of God
- give children positive church experiences
- teach children the gospel of Jesus Christ and how to follow His example
- help children become familiar with the scriptures
- prepare the boys for priesthood responsibilities and the girls for Young Women
Each year we're given a theme, along with monthly themes and weekly lessons that build upon the yearly theme. This year, the theme was "I Know My Savior Lives," and the scripture was, "For I know that my redeemer liveth, and that he shall stand at the latter day upon the earth" (Job 19:25).
When I was thinking about what I wanted to say today, I asked myself, why is it important that the children know their Savior lives? The first thing that came to mind was the words to the song I chose for us to sing this morning, "I Know That My Redeemer Lives":
When the children know their Savior lives and loves them, it will help them trust and have faith in Him. This knowledge will help them to become like Him as they keep the commandments. It will give them a foundation for their testimonies upon which they can build.
We need to remember to see them as Jesus does. Jesus loves children. We have two accounts from the scriptures, one from the Bible and one from the Book of Mormon, that share when Jesus gathered the little children around Him, held them, and blessed them. He also told us to become like them (Matthew 18:1-4).
These children are so precious. I hope you are able to feel their sweet spirits and the Holy Ghost as you watch and listen to the program.